The Garvan Institute of Medical Research is one of Australia’s leading medical research institutes, with over 600 scientists, students and support staff. We pioneer study into the most widespread diseases affecting our community today, including cancer, neurodegenerative and mental diseases, disorders of the immune system, diabetes and obesity, osteoporosis and other skeletal disorders.
Our support staff are the foundation of our scientific operations and we only recruit the best talent. Our support teams are experts in their fields and are driven by the dynamic culture, innovation and cutting-edge research that Garvan offers.
The Receptionist is accountable for providing support to the Building Services Manager as required. This casual position is to cover absences by full-time staff on a need basis. While there are no fixed shifts, we expect that it will be no more than 10 hours per week.
The key responsibilities are:
- Reception - receiving and directing visitors, patients and contractors, and advising staff of visitor arrivals.
- Managing telephone enquiries and directing calls to the appropriate person.
- Updating internal phone number listings.
- Handling mail, including sorting items when required.
- Courier services – booking couriers, receiving packages, advising staff on courier services.
- Parking ticket validation and maintenance of parking ticket validation logs.
- Operating the public address system as required.
- Acting as the Fire Warden for the main reception area.
- Preparing notices for noticeboards and maintaining general noticeboards around the buildings
- Reviewing and updating the Reception Manual on a regular basis.
- Providing cover relief to the other Receptionists for daily breaks, as well as for annual leave and sick leave as necessary.
- Carrying out quality administrative duties to assist the Building Services Manager as required.
The Casual Receptionist will have a high level of verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills and interact well with all members of staff and visitors to Garvan. In addition, we are seeking the following skills:
- Demonstrated experience in administrative support
- Demonstrated public relation skills
- Effective organisational and time management skills
- Competent in the use of Microsoft Office computer programs, such as Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook calendar software and Photoshop
How to Apply
All applications must be submitted via the Garvan Careers site via the link below. Applications from other sites/channels will unfortunately not be considered.
Your application should include:
- A cover letter
- Your resume including at least 2 referees
- Copies of relevant qualifications / academic transcripts
Only applicants with full working rights in Australia are eligible to apply for this role.
The position will remain open until 1 November 2018. We are reviewing applications as they are received, as such candidates are encouraged to submit their application as soon as possible.